Monday, July 21, 2008

Post- Globaloria Thoughts

There's a joke in the title somewhere - my blog title is all wrong - I have no spare time - and it's Monday - my thoughts are unformed and bleary as I try to settle all the ideas sifting through my cluttered mind after last week's busy schedule.
Went to a Globaloria Workshop and learned how much I need to learn - and will never learn - about technology. It's a love-hate thing. Give me words and a pencil and I can fly around in swooping happiness all day long. Give me a keyboard and a url or http or some strange, fast-sounding software (Flash, anyone?) and I'm a dunce. Ask me to follow along as a technological teacher leads the group through a simple (?) set of steps and I'm back in 7th grade math, hoping Mr. Poiani doesn't (Oh, please, god) call on me because I'm still on Step 1 (find the icon) and the rest of the class is, I am absolutely certain, on Step 9. I'm clicking like mad on little pictures (have to get close, whip off my glasses) and my classmates, who are all gifted beyond reason, have already created little digital creatures who are madly hopping around on their pages.
Now, of course some of this is a mild exaggeration - I was at least on Step 2 - and my fellow English teacher admitted to a bit of confusion and a preference for "Words! Give me words!" so I wasn't completely alone in my anxiety. And I really do enjoy the computer - I couldn't get along without it and I don't "get" people who want nothing to do with it. But - lesson learned - I have come face to face with my limitations, and I've been reminded of how the student feels when the pace isn't one he's comfortable with.
Like many "Rose is Rose" cartoons, where a moment's insecurity can instantly morph one into a former, insecure self, that feeling of not being quite"with it" is a transformer - and it's the pits!!
But now I'm catching up - I've created this blog, per the assignment though I can't get a picture to load as yet. I'm well along in getting the program started - thanks to some great teachers and principals. I'm looking forward to plinking around on the team webpage, maybe get over the uploading jinx...

No comments: